Tavistock Bowls club was founded in 1914 and has a seven-rink green. The green is situated by the side of the A386 Plymouth Road, next to the Tennis Club. It was a gentleman's club until 1947 and then a Ladies section was formed
The club has the title of Sir Francis Drake because Drake was born in 1542 at a farm one mile from the town at Crowndale. He became famous as a seafarer and in 1588, when the Spanish Armada was sighted sailing up the English Channel he was playing bowls on Plymouth Hoe and he decided to finish his game before setting sail with his fleet to engage the invaders. A monument to his memory stands at the west end of Plymouth Road. A duplicate of the monument was erected on Plymouth Hoe.
Tavistock is a small country market town with a population of approximately 12,000 inhabitants. The town has a number of small independent shops including two hotels and several restaurants, cafes and coffee shops. The town also enjoys an award winning Pannier Market which is situated behind the Town Hall and is very popular with visitors.
The River Tavy flows through the town and the Meadows in which the Bowling Club is situated. From the club we look out over the parkland towards the river. Beside the green there is a small canal which was used years ago to transport metal-ore by barge to Morwellham Quay, a port on the River Tamar.